Image Map

Thursday, July 31, 2014

How to Create a Survey in Google Forms

After reading Jess from I {heart} Recess's post about using Google Forms at Open House, I decided that I need to start blogging since I've started teaching again (yay!) and what better way to start than with a super easy Google Forms tutorial?

The Google Forms I created for back to school night are a student information survey and a volunteer survey. Since I've been out of the teaching game for awhile and have zero resources currently, I used The Teacher's Cauldron's parent survey information for my student information survey and volunteer survey from a variety of sources. Of course, none of which I have available to me now since I gathered the information months ago and had no plans to share. Lesson #1 for me: start keeping records of everything I use that belongs to someone else.

To start a Google Form, simply be signed into your Google account. You'll need to be in Drive. You can either get there from your Gmail homepage:

or just do a Google search for Drive and sign in.

Once you're there, press the Create button and select Form.


You'll be led to a brand spanking new form.


Choose the title and theme you'd like. Let's say that we're creating a volunteer survey. I'll want to make it stand out a bit, so I'll choose a fun, yet professional theme and title it Volunteer Survey.

"Volunteer Survey" and White Poppies it is! (I just realized this, but please don't be alarmed by the number of tabs I have open. This is actually not as many as usual...)


Click OK and you're on your way! The next screen allows you to begin your survey (or quiz or whatever you decide to use it for).

I always make my first question "What is your first and last name?" If you don't, you won't know who your volunteer is. There are many options for types of question, as you can see, but we'll want it to be a text answer for these purposes. I'll show you how you might use another type in a moment.


When you're ready to move on to the next question, add another item.

I use a checkboxes option when I want the options to be predetermined and limited, such as how a parent would like to volunteer. This option also allows the respondent to select all answers that apply to them.



Other options for answers are:
Paragraph Text, which I'll use when a longer answer is required, such as an upper grade essay question on a quiz or on a student information sheet on which you ask the parent if there's any additional information I should have about their child.
Multiple Choice mostly for quizzes. If you think only one answer will apply for your survey, it would also be appropriate there.
I haven't used other options for answers, but please comment if you have and let us know how you used them!

When you're done adding all of your questions, click Done (duh) and your survey is complete!


If you're antsy, you can send the form to your parents/students/whomever right away. If you can hold off, I strongly recommend viewing the live form first. By doing so, you can take a first look at what your respondents will see. Sometimes you'll catch a spelling mistake you missed in editing.


Isn't she GORGEOUS? ;) From here, if you're crazy like me, you can take the survey yourself to make sure everything's running smoothly and then you can send the form out to folks.

The first time you make a survey, you'll want to choose the response destination settings. The default setting is to create a spreadsheet in Drive titled Your Survey Name (Responses). So, in our case, it would show up in my Drive as Volunteer Survey (Responses). Once you have the response destination settings selected, they will automatically be sent this way every time, until you change them. This works for me; you find what works for you.


Here's a glance at that response sheet.


And BOOM! That. Is. It!

It's easy for parents and it helps keep me organized. There's no reason not to try it. I promise the process is not as long and tedious as this post turned out to be. Play around with it! Have fun!

Please let me know in the comments if you have suggestions or questions.

Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment